Sonship vs Servants
Have you ever been asked, ordered, forced that you didn’t want to do?
((No matter the frustration of my current job, I will always feel this way if my Heart is not in the right place.))
Colossians 3:22-2422 Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eye service, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. 23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for[a] you serve the Lord Christ.25 But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he has done, and there is no partiality.
Having the right perspective:
Galatians 3:26- 4:7
Because we are Sons/Heirs of Christ, we have a different perspective. We now have a different outlook,attitude.
Think like a Son
1) A son will think family not issues
- Issues can split up individuals but issues cannot or should not override family/Relationships
2) Know that the heart is more important than the outward appearance
- Matthew 6:5 doing things for the mark of the outward appearance, is hypocrisy
3) Be teachable and not an expert
- Always be a student
- Have the attitude/desire to learn
- A son is always eager to learn from the father
4) Learn how the Father thinks
- 1 Corinthians 11:1 “Follow me as I follow Christ”
Feel Like a Son
1) A Son will be Building and not maintaining
- Improving past the status quo
- Feel like the success of the house etc is more important than the paycheck
- The vision is more important than my role/reward/recognition
2) It is about inheriting and not taking
- ex Dream Team: we are inheriting because of someone else’s previous labor
- Refrain from the employee attitude
- Our reward/treasures are in Heaven.(hopefully a long way off)
- Luke 16:12 2 “And if you are not faithful with other people’s things, why should you be trusted with things of your own?”
- When you have the attitude of inheritance you will have a blessing
3) Embrace discipline or correction
- Discipline/Correction is NOT rejection
- Never make it in life if you only see the bad in people and not the good in people
- A son embraces correction well, an employee becomes defensive
- Hebrews 12:7 7 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father?
4) Hold yourself to a higher standard
- We shouldn’t need to question Gods standards because we already abide by these-we are a son
- As a Son you hold yourself to a higher standard- the code or guideline isn’t nearly as important as being a Son
Speak like a Son
1) Talk about the Team and not ourselves
- Use words like: Us, we, ours-SON
i. Me, I, Mine-Servant, Employee
- In the heat of the moment our heart will reveals what is inside
2) Honor, Not Exposure
- a. Sons were never intended to correct fathers
i. Sons honor, they do not expose
- ex Gen 9 One son exposed Noah and went telling everyone what Noah had done(Was drunk and naked) Another son brought in a cloak and would not look upon his dad. One son exposed Noah the other Honored
- ex “I can’t believe we have to do this?”
ii. Should not challenge the vision, but you may challenge the process
- ex Gen 9 One son exposed Noah and went telling everyone what Noah had done(Was drunk and naked) Another son brought in a cloak and would not look upon his dad. One son exposed Noah the other Honored.
3) Honor Up, Honor Down
- Honor everyone
4) Transparency, not Covered Up
- Be upfront and honest
- Be open to mentor about struggles
- Because of the security of the relationship, sons are ready to
Act Like a Son
1) Stay put under fire
- Are you going to stay put when times get tough?
- John 10:11-13 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep. 12 A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock. 13 The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep.
i. True test of a son: stays put when there are tough times
2) Submitting not questioning
- There is a time and place to question.
- Sons naturally honor the chain of command
i. Sons naturally honor their commitment
- Not can you submit to someone you love, but to someone you do not like.
3) We make Adjustments and not excuses
- 1 Thessalonians 4:8 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep. 12 A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock. 13 The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep.
Build the House, not Ourselves
1) Sons will bond new people to the family and not to themselves
- Acts 20:30 30 Even some men from your own group will rise up and distort the truth in order to draw a following.
2) Sons know the vision of the house came before themselves.
- Sons don’t change the vision of the father, but rather build upon the vision
- Phil 2:20-22 20 I have no one else like Timothy, who genuinely cares about your welfare. 21 All the others care only for themselves and not for what matters to Jesus Christ. 22 But you know how Timothy has proved himself. Like a son with his father, he has served with me in preaching the Good News.